Just in time for Super Bowl Sunday — Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups with Stout!! This is one of those three-ingredient wonders — you know, those curious little recipes that crop up on Facebook from time to time and sound way too easy to work.
I made this test batch because I wanted try them out before I bring them to Hamilton for Sunday’s Wine and Unwind. If I do say so myself, they are pretty freaking good. (My 13 year year old thinks they need more textural refuge, though, and suggests I use crunchy peanut butter next time. It’s a fair critique. I’ll try that and let you what the cast thinks.)
Oh, and one other little backstage-related detail — the peanut butter I used was “The Bees Knees” from Peanut Butter & Co. The partner of one of the producers of Kinky Boots owns the company, and sometimes he sends a case or two to the theater for everyone to enjoy. So I did.
Chocolate Stout Peanut Butter Cups
3 cups of dark chocolate chips (60% cocoa content)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup stout or porter (espresso or smoked flavor would be divine!)
1. Line mini-muffin tins with mini-muffin paper cups. (should need about 24)
2. Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time until melted.
3. Spoon melted chocolate into muffin cups (about 2/3rds full). Don’t use all the chocolate, as you will need a little bit to smooth off the tops after you’ve piped in your peanut butter.
4. In a small bowl, beat peanut butter and stout until well combined. Scrape peanut butter into a Ziploc bag, and cut off one corner to use as a make-shift pastry bag. Insert cut-off corner into chocolate and squeeze out a good sized dollop.
5. Top each cup with a small amount of the remaining chocolate to cover the peanut butter and create a smooth top.
6. Chill until set, about 10 minutes.
I will confess that I used a couple of specialized tools to make this easier and the candies sleeker — a mini-cookie dough scoop really helps get the melted chocolate into the cups cleanly, and a pastry bag makes the peanut butter look very professional. But really, a spoon and a Ziploc work just fine. And how can you go wrong with these three ingredients?
Tagged: Hamilton, Kinky Boots, Peanut Butter Cups, Super Bowl
Leave a Reply