The cast and crew of Hamilton (photo by Joan Marcus)
Hamilton had its first preview on January 20, and the packed house went wild! (The Public has a “First Performance Free for All” where the first row of every new show this season is given out by lottery. Over 9,000 people signed up online to try to get those tickets!) They’ve already extended the run at the Public through April 5, but I hear that even that new block of tickets is mostly sold out. But still, give it a try here.
So the following degenerate recipe was featured at last week’s Wine and Unwind. (I call them degenerate because I needed to find a synonym for decadent, which is highly overused in this blog. A brownie batter featuring peanut butter AND Nutella? If that’s not degenerate, I don’t know what is!)
Peanut Butter/Nutella Brownies
1 cup butter (2 sticks), melted
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup Nutella
1/2 cup peanut butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9″ x 13″ glass pan
1. In a medium bowl combine all-purpose flour, cocoa (sift this in to get rid of lumps), baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Over low heat, melt butter and stir in sugar until well combined. Remove from heat and and vanilla extract.
3. To the butter-sugar mixture add eggs, one at a time. With a wooden spoon vigorously mix in each egg until well combined. Then whisk in the cocoa mixture until fully combined.
4. In a microwave-safe bowl, add Nutella and peanut butter. Heat in the microwave in 20 second intervals until it just reaches a runny consistency. (Be careful! This mixture is so high in fat that it can scorch easily) Stir into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Let brownies cool completely before cutting. Makes approximately 20 brownies.
Chris Jackson (who plays George Washington) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (who plays Alexander Hamilton)
Nina Jacobs from wardrobe enjoying a Sunday treat
Thayne Jasperson, a member of the ensemble
Tagged: Hamilton, Nutella brownies, the Public Theater
Leave a Reply