James has gone seamlessly from BAM’s “The Master Builder” (which closed on June 9) to a workshop of a new musical called “Spongebob Squarepants.” Yes, THAT Spongebob Squarepants. So, what do you think our Backstage Baker baked??? Duh!! Of course — SPONGECAKE! Now, believe it or not, James has never made spongecake before (I know, really? How is that possible???) But he was able to come up with a recipe. James notes that Spongecake very similar to an Angel Food Cake except that you use the yolks. (That’s good for me, because I always struggle to find uses for those yolks and they end up in my freezer for months until I, uh, compost them.)
Anyway, in honor of all things Spongebob (and the song in the musical called ‘Just A Simple Sponge’) James offers up his Simple Sponge Cake. There are only three ingredients!!
6 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a bundt pan.
2. Separate eggs, putting whites in large mixer bowl and yolks in small mixer bowl.
3. Add 1/2 c sugar to whites and beat until very stiff.
4. Add 1/2 c sugar to yolks and beat until very thick and light yellow in color.
5. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
6. Sift flour and fold it in using 1//3 c each time until well mixed. (Do not overmix!)
7. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out dry.
8. Cool for a few minutes in the pan then turn it out on a rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
9. Take 3 cups of mixed berries, stir in 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and a Tablespoon of Gran Marnier or Triple Sec. (Ah, so that’s what the $10 bottle of Triple Sec is doing in the photo!) Serve cake with whipped cream and berries.