The Master Builder only has a few more performances at BAM (it closes on June 9, so get your tickets NOW!) It’s gotten great reviews, so try not to miss this one.
At last Sunday’s Wine and Unwind, James treated the cast to his legendary Chocolate Walnut Tart. It’s delicious and actually pretty easy to make. Eddie, the house prop man, supplied a delicious Brunella to share, and more bottles just showed up as well. Everyone unwound just fine!
Next week, James moves on to PSM the workshop of Spongebob Squarepants: The Musical. Can’t wait to see what he makes for THAT Wine and Unwind!
James Latus’ Chocolate Walnut Tart
Pastry for single pie crust (see recipe below)
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press pastry dough into bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
2. Sprinkle walnuts and chocolate chips over crust
3. In small bowl combine, eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter and vanilla. Pour into crust.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
James’ French Pastry Crust recipe
(makes two pie crusts)
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
5 Tablespoons ice water
1. Combine flour, salt and sugar, cut in shortening until it resembles course meal
2. Combine egg, vinegar and 4 Tablespoons of water. Whisk together, add to flour stirring with fork until it forms a ball. Add additional Tablespoon of water only if needed
3. Allow dough to rest 10 minutes in refrigerator before rolling out.
James notes that because Wine and Unwind has gotten so popular with this cast, he had to make TWO tarts!! Hence the double pastry crust recipe.
James hosting the event
John Tuturro and Andrei Belgrader
Cast members Max Gordon Moore and Julian Gamble