I’ve blogged more than 50 recipes, the vast majority of which come directly from James our Backstage Baker, and I cannot believe that I haven’t already blogged this recipe. It is a terrible oversight on my part because this is one of my very favorites, and a staple in my personal pantheon of baked goods. These bars are always popular and always disappear first from any dessert table! Do try them for your next church social or PTA bake sale.
James baked these early Sunday morning (before a 1pm matinee! Who does a 1pm matinee?) to the delight of the Hamilton cast.
Poor Jersey had to wait for her walk until they were cooling . . .
Raspberry Almond Bars
1/2 cup butter
1 package vanilla chips (10 or 12 oz)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9″ x 9″ pan.
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat and add 1 cup vanilla chips. DO NOT STIR.
2. In small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add sugar. Stir in chip mixture and almond extract.
3. Combine flour and salt. Add to egg mixture just until combined. Spread half of this batter in your pre-greased pan. Bake at 325* for 15 – 20 minutes.
4. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt jam then spread over warm crust. Stir remaining chips into batter and drop by teaspoonfuls on top of jam layer. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool thoroughly on wire rack before you even attempt to cut into bars. (I can never wait, and my bars always looks ragged. Don’t be like me. WAIT!)
Daveed Diggs (Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson) digging in
Anthony Ramos (Laurens/Philip Hamilton) achieving nirvana
Betsy Struxness (Ensemble) posing with what’s left
Tagged: Hamilton, Raspberry Almond Bars, Wine and Unwind
Leave a Reply