Red Velvet Bars . . . going fast!
Our Backstage Baker outdid himself on this one! He’s been sitting on this recipe since Christmas, but just hasn’t had the time to bake it. So, last Saturday, after getting home from Hamilton at midnight, he baked the following for the next day’s Wine and Unwind. (Have I mentioned that our Backstage Baker only needs about two hours of sleep a night?) Coincidentally, there was a marriage proposal onstage after the show on Sunday, so the Valentine-red bars were perfect!
In other news, Hamilton is moving to Broadway! Look for a July 13 opening at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. Here’s the New York Times review & David Brooks’ recent editorial raving about the show. Who knew these gentlemen were such fans of the rap?
Red Velvet Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the bars:
3⅓ cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring gel
Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 8-oz bricks cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 9×13 inch pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray so that the bars easily lift out and are easy to cut.
3. In one bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until combined.
5. Mix in the flour mixture gradually until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the 9×13 inch pan. Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the sides and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
6. To make the cream cheese frosting: Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and continue beating until smooth. Frost the top of the bars.
Hamilton Ensemble member Seth Stewart Wining and Unwinding
Phillipa Soo (aka Eliza Hamilton)
Jasmine Cephas Jones (aka Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds)
Tagged: Hamilton, Red Velvet Bars, Wine and Unwind
Leave a Reply