The BB has taken a bit of a hiatus lately, what with the holidays and rehearsals for his new show, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton at the Public Theatre. (I’d say get your tickets now, but I understand it’s already sold out! And it doesn’t open until January 20!) Of course, this doesn’t mean James hasn’t been baking (and cooking), it just means he hasn’t been taking pictures of everything.
But that stops now with a very decadent recipe that does NOT fit into my New Years’ diet. Maybe it fits into yours. (Aw heck, who am I kidding? I’ll be making these ASAP!)
Lin-Manuel Miranda, the composer-lyricist and lead pouring Coquito for the Hamilton cast at Sunday’s Wine and Unwind.
ALMOND HAPPINESS BROWNIES
*For the brownie layer:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
*If you’re rushed for time, you can also just use 1 box of family size Chocolate Fudge brownie mix. No one’s judging you!
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (14 oz.) bag coconut
1/4 C milk
1 C chocolate chips, melted
1/4 C almonds (or other nuts), crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line (regular size, not mini) cupcake pan with paper liners. (Don’t skip the paper liners as these will stick).
2. Make brownies: In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa and baking soda. Add 1/3 cup vegetable oil and boiling water. Mix until well blended and thickened. Stir in the sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 cup oil. Finally, add the flour, vanilla and salt; mix just until all of the flour is absorbed. Pour batter only half way up the liners.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. While they are baking, mix the coconut, sweetened condensed milk and milk together.
4. Remove brownies from oven and spoon on some sweetened coconut. Place back in oven and continue to bake an additional 14-16 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing them from the pan. Drizzle on the chocolate then sprinkle on the almonds.
Carleigh Bettiol and Sasha Hutchings enjoying some wine and goodies. Notice the prop table!
Jasmine Cephas Jones and a nice shot of the Almond Happiness Brownies
Tagged: Chocolate brownie cupcakes, Hamilton the musical, Lin-Manuel Miranda, The Public Theatre
Leave a Reply